Friday, January 21, 2011

16 years old and emancipated

These aren't in order, but rather as I recollect. After mary (mom) put me on the bus to Colorado I didn't see her for more than 10 years. Roger (dad) who I hadn't known since I was 2 may have tried his best... but it was quite difficult. I was used to stealing food stamps from mary to get food, running around in the night, doing anything while she prayed... and roger, well, bed by 8 pm (I was 13!) and a glass of milk every night. Quite a shocker. I stayed through the remainder of 8th grade and most of 9th, but then went to visit my aunt and uncle in Maryland, and never went back.

I don't have much memory of why I didn't go back -- but apparently I told dad I wouldn't go back, or I thought he didn't want me back.

Lasted with a patient uncle for a few months, and then I moved out at 15 with a wonderful lady and her daughter. That too lasted a few months, and I was too big for my britches.

At 16 I dropped out of the high school international baccalaureate program and registered at the local community college (I went on to get 2 masters degrees later in life) and went to court to get emancipated.

From 16 on, I have lived and supported myself.. very interesting times...

1 comment:

ajtrogue said...

You must write the book. Interested in some ideas? My cup overfloweth...